Trying to decide if a Frameless Shower Screen is right for your next bathroom renovation?
Frameless shower screens have become increasingly popular in recent years. Their sleek design enables them to blend seamlessly into any bathroom. Without any unnecessary distractions, they enhance the decor and allow it to shine brilliantly, but they also come with their own set of pros and cons.
Besides the aesthetics, what sets frameless showers screens apart is these screens are made of toughened glass and are held in place with brackets, clips or wall chanelling, rather than a traditional frame completely surrounding the glass
In our "Flexi Shower Screen Tips Blog", we will explore both the advantages and disadvantages of frameless shower screens so that you can make an informed decision for your own bathroom renovation and lifestyle.
So, let's start with the positives
Pro's of Frameless Shower Screens
1. Easy to clean:
One of the most significant advantages of frameless shower screens is that they are very easy to clean. There are no tracks or grooves for soap scum or mould to build up, which makes cleaning a breeze.
2. Visually appealing: Frameless shower screens offer a minimalist, contemporary look that can help to make your bathroom feel more spacious and open. They allow light to flow freely, which can also help to brighten up the room.
In a small bathroom, a fully framed shower screen can interrupt the visual flow of the bathroom, whereas a frameless shower screen can provide a sleeker, more polished appearance.
For Tips on how to choose the right shower screen for a small bathroom - check our blog post
3. Modern look: When it comes to bathroom design, nothing screams modern and sleek quite like frameless shower screens. These gorgeous panels of thick, quality glass can instantly upgrade the aesthetic of any bathroom. Not only do they look good, but they add an air of luxury as well. The use of thicker glass presents a luxurious quality that simply can't be replicated by traditional shower screens.
The glass in frameless shower screens is made from toughened safety glass, which makes them highly durable and long-lasting. Our toughened glass is 10mm thick and and has undergone a rigid toughening process. Toughened glass is float glass that has been processed via 'toughening'. Tempering/toughening of glass is a thermal process involving heating and cooling of glass to harden it, in such a way that it results in the glass being 4-5 times stronger than the regular annealed (float glass) of the same thickness.
Toughened glass is considered Grade A Safety Glass according to the Australian Glass and Glazing Standards, AS1288.
Although more resistant to impact than traditional glass, this type of glass still has the potential to break if affected with enough force. That being said, the good news is that toughened glass used in frameless shower screens is designed to break into small cuboid pieces if they do shatter. This helps to reduce the likelihood of harm to anyone nearby, giving you peace of mind for your family.
5. To Door or Not To Door!: With frameless shower screens you have the option of having a shower screen door...or not! You can choose from sliding, hinged or pivot shower doors...or go for the sleek 'walk in shower', aka as a frameless fixed panel shower screen.
Con's of Frameless Shower Screens
1. Cost: Frameless shower screens are generally more expensive than traditional framed screens. This is because they require thicker, toughened glass and specialised hardware.
2. Installation: Installing a frameless shower screen can be more challenging than a framed screen. The glass is heavy and requires precision installation to ensure a secure fit. An experienced shower screen installer will make allowances for those 'not quite so perfectly straight' walls.
3.Leaks: There is the possibility of leakage through the gap around the door as the frameless shower screens are installed directly to the wall with minimal hardware.
If the glass for the frameless shower screen is not accurately cut and fitted, the door may not close perfectly. Frameless shower screens should always be professionally installed, and come with a warranty, plus comply with all Australian Safety Standards for your own peace of mind.
Continuing on from potential leakage with a frameless shower screen, is drainage. It's best to install larger drains paired with frameless shower screens, particularly if you're using large tiles. We highly recommend including strip drains to efficiently drain the water, especially for hobless showers.
If you are comfortable with a little bit of water sometimes, then go with the frameless screen as they really do have a wow factor! Frameless shower screens offer a high-end finish that can transform an outdated bathroom into a modern oasis.
Not only do they provide an open and airy feeling, but they are also incredibly easy to clean and customise to fit your specific design needs. However, it's important to note that these screens do come with a higher price tag and require professional installation to ensure a perfect fit. Despite this, the investment is well worth it for those looking to achieve a luxurious and stylish look in their bathroom.
So if a Frameless Shower Screen is the The Flexi Showers team have a multitude of options to suit your bathroom needs: Hinged Frameless Shower Screens
So give the Flexi Showers Team a call or head to our showroom today and get started on giving your bathroom a sleek & stylish start.
For more information on our quality custom made shower screens contact the
Flexi Showers Team below.
Flexi Showers Shower Screens Melbourne Showroom - 138 National Blvd Campbellfield. 03 9469 6190